Friday, December 21, 2007

Happy Holidays

I was thinking back to a few years ago when I was in Provo working at The Seag (aka Seagull Book). We would answer the phone something like, "Merry Christmas from Seagull Book, this is Traci." However a couple of weeks before Christmas we were informed we were not allowed to say this. We had to say "Happy Holidays" or something likewise. I would believe this in this day and age, except in Utah in a Christian Bookstore. It really did not make sense to me.
We have been doing a lot of Christmas decorating, etc. with the kids, mainly coloring different pictures to hang around the unit. We have a lot of Santa Claus, Christmas trees, reindeer, stockings, and such. No one said a word about any other holidays, but I did find a menorah and a dreidel and made those available to the kids.
It's interesting the things parents throw fits about and the things no one says one word about. One of my co-workers wrote X-mas on something and I, in a somewhat joking fashion, said "don't take Christ out of Christmas." Apparently she thought I was really offended and felt really bad about it. Thinking about it though, the term X-mas really does bug me. I know that I have abbreviated it before, but I think I wrote C-mas.

Whatever.

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Let your heart be light
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now

I think this is quite a depressing song.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I like that song! :) And MERRY CHRISTMAS to you! Love you!!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, I really don't like that song. . . I think it's depressing, too!