Monday, March 17, 2008

"Can I have a hug?"

So. I am not a strong believer of turning down a child asking for a hug. However, Meadows has given me a different perspective. I don't want to tell a child 'no' when they ask for a hug, but sometimes I just have to. First, I work with kids who have sexual issues. You wouldn't think there is a problem giving a 9 yr old a hug, but I have denied some kids before.

This girl comes up to me today and asks for a hug. Normally I don't mind with her. However, today I told her no. I told her no because she was dirty. I also told her this. The therapist started laughing at me because I just responded quickly and honestly. She was physically dirty- stained shirt, grubby hands, etc. Okay, so it wasn't the best thing to say, but if you worked at Meadows you wouldn't be as judgmental towards me. If only you knew the truth.

No especially funny stories today. Oh wait. There is a fourteen year old girl who cracks me up. She had a bruise by her eye, and a bruise/bump on her forehead. I asked about the one by her eye and she called another girl a bad name and was punched in the face in return.
The bump on her forehead came from when she was taking a shower and trying to moonwalk at the same time. Apparently she fell in this process. I laughed. A lot. Then I told her it was even more funny because I could see myself doing the same thing.

So. To share some info. 8 things you probably didn't know about me.
1. I can (and often do) eat peanut butter straight off the spoon.
2. I hate ferris wheels. They are my biggest fear- yet somehow I still go on them.
3. I have a huge movie collection. Over 100 DVDs from the Bourne trilogy to Lady and the Tramp, to Oklahoma.
4. I screen most of my calls.
5. I require multiple pillows. If I only have one I don't sleep well. The more the better.
6. I set four alarms spaced out over about 20 minutes, just in case.
7. I hate mint. Hate it.
8. I prefer the aisle seat. I get very claustrophobic when I am around too many people-or just one person too close to me. I'm fine in tight, close places; unless there are people close to me.

2 comments:

Jessica Speed said...

Traci, you are too funny! Thanks for sharing your life with us.

Joan said...

Most of the eight items I agree with. We had a woman in the old19 th ward that gave everyone fits. She just had to set in the front seat when going with other women. She had to set on the end seat, even in the temple. The night I was ordained a Bishop, she called me at home. She said the former Bishop had interviewed her for a temple recommend and had forgot to give her the recommend and would I bring her one. I was still laughing when she hung up. I do enjoy a couple of pillows. I enjoy a lot of peanut butter on a slice of bread along with a lot of jam. Se you are not at different as you might think. Only difference is that you have a dog. Love ya. Bruno