Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Such a long week and it's only Tuesday

So. Yesterday I got up and went to work for my last orientation shift. I left my apartment about 6:40 to get to work. Work went fine, but was extremely emotionally draining. I can't even tell some of the stories because it is very likely some of these patients will end up on the news.
But, the day was fine enough. Except for when I went in and instead of setting my keys on top of the locker I dropped them over an open hole with no way to get to them until we finally called maintenance and they were able to get them with some sort of reaching tool. Luckily.

So, after work I drove straight to the train station and went down into center city (main downtown Philadelphia). So I was finally able to find what I was looking for (of course, after walking in the wrong direction for 10 blocks or so. To think I used to pride myself on my sense of direction.), then I had to take the subway over to University City (downtown where several campuses are). Then I went to the bookstore and was thrust back in time to buying ridiculously expensive books and flipping through used copies, hoping to find a used copy which the previous owner never studied out of. Fun. Then I was picked up by a friend so we could head down to the Sports complex to see the




And they won. It was fun. Several members of the branch went for FHE. In this picture from left to right is Kristina, Angie, me, Angela, and Brittany.



Then, I finally headed home. The entire day I was carting around my backpack-I forgot how heavy it can be. So, I finally got home around 11:30. I was hungry, but exhausted. So I went straight to bed.

This morning I woke up all ready to go back to school! At some point in the middle of the night I realized that the building I thought my class was in was the wrong building. So, this morning I was getting ready and checking on the last few things (or so I thought). I found the right building and headed over to the train station with plenty of time. Yesterday I had tested out the day parking which is only a dollar, so I thought I was all ready. Well, I get over there and they were sold out of daily spots. So, I was trying to figure out what to do and I decided to just get the long term parking pass. I run in and ask about the parking and as I am doing this the train comes. The guy explains the parking passes are done on a calendar month basis so it would be pointless for me to get it- but I found out it was $20 (remember that). So I jump back in the car and decide I will do the best I can and try to find parking down close to campus. Well, of course, there was plenty of traffic. A surplus of traffic. So, with some fancy manuevering I was close to campus just about 9:30-when my class was supposed to start. So, I pass the large train station that was a few blocks away and see parking there, so I dart on in. By the time I finally parked it was between 9:35 and 9:40 or so. So then I rushed my way over and found the building just fine, but was furious with myself because I was late. I have NEVER been late for a class. So I rush into the building to the classroom-BUT NOBODY WAS IN THERE! So I check out the schedule that was posted there and it didn't have my class listed. Then I tried logging into the website to double check the classroom. But, in my randomness (I don't really know this person I have become-or like her for that matter) I didn't have my ID information with me. So I am standing there and I have absolutely no idea what to do. Oh yeah-all morning I had this vision of walking into class late and having the professor tell me to get out. Students do not come in late. Missing one class is a big deal because we only have about 9 classes the entire term. So. I'm thinking I won't even get the privelege of getting kicked out. So I am standing around and I decided to check the room where the other section would be meeting in a few hours. I had walked by it, but the second time noticed there were people in there and saw my class (labeled wrong) on the schedule. So I thought, "Okay, I'll try to sneak in the back." So I tried the door. Locked. Are you kidding me? So I tried to find another door, but it was also locked. So I go back to the door hoping someone will notice me and open the door. I really didn't want to knock and disrupt the professor. So I lightly knocked on the door. The angels were with me and someone heard and opened the door for me. So I walk in and the professor was kind enough to point out an open computer for me. So I go to sit down and she gestures for the girl sitting next to me to help me catch up. Another angel. She turns to me and I turn to the computer. Please log in. Dang it! I don't have it. Well, my little angel offered to help me by using her own log in. Then she said open up the data she sent in the email. My face said it all. Email? I didn't get an email!!! So, again, the messenger from above opened up her email and pulled up the data for me. With her help I was able to catch up relatively easy. I ended up being 30 minutes late. I was so mad at myself. For so much. When the professor called for a break I went and introduced myself to her and apologized. Turns out she was able to know my name off the bat due to the fact her name is Tracy. She was really great about me coming in late-someone came in even later than me. So. When we get back to discussing the material I was actually refreshing some stuff because I took statistic and research classes as an undergraduate-and I rememberd some of it! Here at Drexel they have a BS/MS program in which you can get both degrees in 4 years. I wish I could have done something like that. So, there were some undergraduates in the class, which I think it what made a difference in the willingness to forgive. The professor asked some questions and good ole Traci was able to answer several questions. And I am the only one in the class that the professor knows by name... Ha. Take that awful morning!

The parking downtown costs $21.

4 comments:

tammy 2-2 said...

You know, when I have experiences like that my stomach ends up in knots and then I lose a bunch of weight. Sometimes not a good thing, though. You know we're all praying for you and that's why despite your problems, things still manage to work out. Have fun and ride the train! Love you lots!

tammy 2-2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

whew what a couple of days!

Lori said...

I'm glad you were able to make it through.