Seriously, I do. And I am having trouble finding anyone who actually likes it.
I love my classes, but the school is HORRIBLE! I started figuring this out several months ago when they informed me (after I was accepted and had to drag the information out of them) that the professor I chose Drexel for was no longer at Drexel. One thing after another seems underhanded.
So. Here we have "mentors." They are supposed to be helping us to make sure we are doing what we are supposed to and help us out. My mentor is brand new. Never had students before. So, the mentor I thought I would have (ranked number one) was replaced by one who has no idea what is going on.
So. I met with my mentor several weeks ago-in August actually. She didn't really guide me. Whatever. So, I found this research position with CHOP and decided I would forge ahead and take some initiative. Well, a few weeks ago I hadn't heard anything from my mentor. She had said in August that we would have lab meetings, but I hadn't heard anything. I mean absolutely NOTHING. So. I contact her. I tell her what I have been up to as far as research and ask her if there is something more I should be doing. She sends me an email back that says, "I don't think you understand the role of the mentor." I don't know what that means, so I reply with what I thought was going on. I wait for a reply. I don't get one from her. Instead I get an email from the director of the program saying the three of us need to meet.
So, today was our meeting. I don't appreciate people telling me I am stupid because I did what I was told and they didn't and they are looking for someone to blame. I have no idea what will happen, but I was hoping that I had blown the whole thing out of proportion. I was pinching myself during the meeting so I wouldn't say something I really wanted to, but knew I shouldn't. And to think I was wondering where all these little cuts come from on my fingers-great now I am a borderline cutter. So, they weren't doing what they described as their jobs so they bullied up against me to point out everything I could possibly be doing wrong.
In addition to all this my mentor does not like me and is kinda hostile towards me. When we first met I made some comment about my research interests and how they were close to Dr. Barakat's (the professor who left) and that was who I interviewed with and who I thought I would be working with. So. My mentor looks at me and goes, "Well, if you don't want to be here, I'm sure something could be worked out for you to go to school elsewhere."
Sheesh woman!
So, I am a third of the way through the term and they were telling me I haven't been doing the mandatory work. So I don't know what's going to happen. I may have to do an extra term (like this summer) to make up for not doing what I had no idea I was supposed to be doing.
Then, the director was giving me crap about not coming to orientation or their silly drinking party. Number one, ma'am, I was working so I couldn't go to orientation. Yes, I actually did inform someone-Kristen. Perhaps if you hired competent people there wouldn't be all this trouble. On the party thing- I can hardly stand being in class with half of these people, I don't really want to see them even more ridiculous when they are drunk.
I haven't cried in awhile. I think I need to. I just can't. Not that I won't, but I actually cannot. I'll work on it.
Off to study and try to figure out all this crap. And pep talk myself into being okay with paying so much money to a school I am so mad at. Only one year and 8 months to go! That's the way to live. At least I like my classes and I still love the city.
5 comments:
Oh, I am so sorry for you. I hate incompetent people. And people with attitude (present company excepted, of course). I used to let people bully me around. I hope you can work things out. But if not, maybe you could transfer somewhere else. My prayers are with you. Love you lots!
Aunt Tam
P.S. Anyone you want me to rough up, so to speak? Verbally, anyway.
Hey, girl! You want your Mom to call the 'teacher'? I'll do it you know. Seriously, get some rest. Eat a good breakfast. Try to remember their mothers love them, too! Attitude goes a long ways - good and bad. I love you!
wow! I've got plenty of tears for the both of us! just keep smiling there is a light at the end of the very long tunnel!
How heartbreaking for you! I'm so sorry. It sounds like you have a pretty good attitude about it, despite all the awfulness. I really hope it gets better, especially now that you have a better idea what you're supposed to be doing! It's so hard to adjust to new things, especially with no guidance.
I am so sorry! I can't believe they have people like that working there. I hope things work out for you. Keep us updated!
Post a Comment