So talk therapy hasn't worked yet, so I am going to try writing it down. That's another kind of therapy.
I am just about to finish my master's degree in psychology. I just need to complete this last class (which is the one bright spot that is school right now), present a poster at a major conference, and defend my thesis.
So- my class (psychopharmacology) is awesome. I really love it. I have a paper due in a few weeks, and a case presentation at the beginning of June, but other than that it is going to class for 3 hours on Wednesday and LOVIN' IT!
Presenting a poster- I was accepted to present my study at the International Meeting for Autism Research, which is being held in Philadelphia this year (thank goodness. I couldn't handle traveling anywhere on top of everything else that is happening.) A colleague of mine, who has been a huge help all along the way is the head of the conference this year. A few days ago I got an email from the Bureau of Autism Services (they work for the State of Pennsylvania) in which they told me I couldn't use the data at a presentation until they publish a report (which I found out yesterday will be the beginning of June). The conference is May 20th. So, they won't let me use the data which they own, (they funded the study that I helped to write and conduct) at this conference. The trouble is, one requirement for my master's is to present at a conference. So, David (the head of the department) contacted me when he heard this and apologized (he was the one who told me there wouldn't be a problem in using the data). He is such a help- everyone (and I do mean EVERYONE) else I work with has this attitude of "sucks for you Traci. Figure something else out." David responded back apologizing and telling me that for other things (like my thesis and publication of the study) wouldn't be affected. I responded telling him I needed to present at a conference. I told him that I know it isn't typical to present a poster without results, but would I be able to present the background literature and methods? Instead of the typical response I get from everyone else ("you should have anticipated this" and "too bad you can't graduate now") David responded by saying, "we'll figure out a strategy for you to present." Thank goodness he is the head of the conference. So, that crisis passed with only the fear that I will be presenting a joke of a poster at the conference in a few weeks, but at least I will be presenting.
Finally: THE THESIS. Dun Dun Dun!!!!
Everything is ready. I have everything ready to run the analyses on the data. If I can just get my hands on the data. I have permission from the owners of the data (the state) and the ethics committee at Drexel to have this data in my possession. The only problem: the two individuals who physically hold the data. These two are a joke right now. Last year, when I was working for them for free they had no problem with me. But now that I need something in return (which they knew would happen all along) they don't like to stay in contact with me. The one, who I need to meet everytime I want to see the data has started to take days to get back to me, which wastes time. A couple of weeks ago I set up to meet with her at 2:00 so I could see the data. She wasn't there at 2. She wasn't there at 2:30. She wasn't there at 3:00. She wasn't there at 3:30. Finally, at 3:40 a colleague of hers gives me the data. And no one said anything about it! And I have to keep on the happy face because who knows how much worse it could get. So, I talked with her about using the data last week. I couldn't go in Thursday, because I was waiting on a form from another person (the other one who is treating me like crap) so I emailed her about coming in to work on Friday. She said no I couldn't use it Friday or Monday. So I asked about Tuesday. She said, no, she was so busy that she wouldn't be in the office Tuesday. But Wednesday or Thursday was good. I was in meetings on Wednesday, so I asked about Thursday or Friday. She, when she finally responded, said, nope too busy all this week. You can't use it. Maybe next Tuesday. So, literally 2 weeks will go by where they refused to let me use it. 2 weeks of precious time.
The other individual. Sheesh, she is a treat. She has this horrible attitude about me. Maybe about everything. She was appointed head of this project because she has a master's so they wouldn't have to pay her as much as someone with a doctorate. And boy, she lets the power go to her head.
I emailed her a couple of weeks ago about getting the permission from the state. A day went by where I heard nothing from her. So, the next time I was in the office I walked by her office and asked about it. She responds, "Oh I emailed you. I need information from you." Gee, okay. Not like that is something you could have done 24 hours ago... and it is not like she is frantically working and had no time for these things. As we have this conversation she is leaning back in her chair chatting with some other people in the office... So, finally I got my permission (and she definitely was worse than just a "too bad" attitude. Her attiutude was, "good. I'm glad it didn't work. And you better not try to get it to work." Whatever.
A few months ago she said to me, "If you want to use this data you really need to do something for us in return. We can't just give you the data for free." I'm still wondering about this, as I spent months writing the study, running piloting studies for this, writing letters for this, inputting data, and on and on. All of this work was unpaid. So I just don't get it. But luckily David is her boss and is not an idiot.
So, a few months ago I asked her what would be needed for me to get the data. She responded with one thing for me to do. So, the process took awhile, but when I completed it I told her I got it done and was ready for the data. Her response, "Oh no. You can't take it yet. You need to do this...." So I went and did that. When I came back, ready to take the data she responded, "Oh no. You can't take it yet. You need to do this...." This has continued over half a dozen times with various things to do. Someone in my lab pointed out that she is treating me like a kindergartener, where you can only assign one task at a time. It is ridiculous. And, she takes several days each time to respond with the next step. It's like a choose your own adventure, but it is definitely not fun.
Anyway. I was worried about when I would finally be able to get the analses done so I could move on and eventually defend the thesis. I was on a timeline. Then I found out I was on a shorter one. One member of my thesis committee is having a baby in June. So I really need to get it done before then. But no one will tell me if it is possible, and no one will let me use the data to do the analyses. So, I guess that answers the first question.
Sheesh.
Okay, I do feel better.
3 comments:
Just remember my darlin you are doing your very best and things will all work out. You know your Grandmother's feelings "Everything works out for the best" Won't be long and you will have your MaSTERS. Big loves to you and Tess
Don't know what to say to that. Maybe... good luck!? We're thinking of you if it helps.
Sorry!
Post a Comment