Friday, April 2, 2010

My mean, uncool parents

When I was younger there were many things I didn't understand. Now, there are even more things that I don't understand. But that's not the point of this post.
Whenever we went to church activities, my parents wouldn't let us leave the cultural hall (where the activity was taking place). I would get so mad. Other kids were able to wander and play in the halls. Anywho. I didn't like it. My parents were mean.
Well, recently I have been thinking back to that and I am so glad my parents did this.
The church building that my branch meets in also serves as the building for a ward. There are individuals in that ward who feel put out that they have to share their building with the singles' branch (their words- not mine. And this is not hearsay- this is "I heard with my own ears" say). Anywho. The ward meets before our branch and they often have a baptism or something going on right after their meetings. Unfortunately, there are parents who do not see the need to place restrictions on their children and let them wander the building. This has resulted in screaming, yelling, and walking in on our lessons. It's silly, but lately I have been thinking a lot about this.
I know some people don't see the harm, but come on people.
Even if there is no one else meeting in the building, this is disrespectful. Letting your kids wander in public, but out of your supervision IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.
Now, some of you may say," Traci, how silly. You don't know anything. You don't have kids."
I will argue this. For 2 years I had 15+ kids. These were kids whose parents did not see the need for restrictions. These were kids who, thus, got in trouble.
I was watching the news the other day in which some bottle bombs were set off in 3 or 4 different places by teenagers in the area. No one was seriously injured, but I fully support the individuals who were stating that parents should be given some of the responsibility for this.
Now, are parents completely responsible for their children's actions? No. I study developmental psychology. I KNOW THIS BETTER THAN ANYONE, parent or not.
However, YOU DO HAVE SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITY!!!! It's not completely nature OR nurture. BUT IT IS BOTH.
If you are allowing your child to wander around the city, without you knowing what is going on, YES. YOU SHOULD BE HELD AT LEAST PARTIALLY RESPONSIBLE.
Okay, so you are sitting there going, "This is teenagers you are talking about. Not kids wanting out of the cultural hall." I know this seems like a jump, but it really isn't. If you aren't setting limits and watching out for your child now, why will you in 2 years, or 10 years. (And I had many kids who were only 8 years old, but had gotten into major trouble.)
On another note. I have a friend who is in her 30s and constantly talks about how her parents didn't set limits on her as a teenager, and don't really care what she does now. This same individual (who is a member of the church) recently let a naked individual she had met ONCE, sleep in her bed with her. Think about that...
Also, I love it when people want their kids to think they are "cool" or when people refer to their parents as "cool."
Recently I heard of a guy, who is married, who spent the night at the apartment of a single woman, who he had dated before he got married. He slept on the couch, but they were the only 2 individuals in the apartment. When I questioned the woman who he was staying with she responded, "Oh yeah. He asked his wife about it, and she was cool."
Ladies and gentlemen, I sincerely hope I am not a cool wife or parent.

2 comments:

Traci said...

I forgot to note: I am sorry if you are offended. I am not sorry for what I wrote, but my purpose was not to offend.

Joan said...

You did a GREAT job wording just how things are... I'm proud of you
my sweetie I love you Jo
May I also add when there are church dinners how the young people are always the first in line.