Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christmas Ornaments

Every year since I started college I have either made, bought, or received a christmas ornament. I am not good at keeping up traditions, but so far it's worked.

2003 was my first year. I got some regular glass balls and some glitter glue pens.
I loved this set of roommates. I consider them my first roommates- even though I did live in an apartment with 5 girls for a few months the summer before. This ornament-which has odd marks on it (it was cheap and is old) has the initials of all the roommates: Marie Esselman, Shannon Thacker, Jennifer Kellis, Amber Kristine something, Christina Marie Wilson, and Traci Eleda Hemming (although I have lost my "e" at some point. (note: I am proud of myself for remembering as much as I did- I remember middle names because the first 3 didn't have middle names and the other two had middle names that were other roommates' first names...)

I remember Christmas 2004- it wasn't a great time. I was having some serious roommate issues... but I found these bells, which I still like.
Plus, they are plastic, so they have lasted quite well...

Christmas 2005: I was working at Seagull Book- which I loved! I loved the people I worked with and this year we had a Christmas work party. One of my coworkers bought these ornaments for everyone:
I love it! It's a snowman s'more!

2006: I had graduated from college and was living in Bloomington, Indiana. I had started working at the psych hospital about a month before, and was still adjusting to living alone- and Tess was adjusting to me. I found an ornament of a beagle with angel wings. If anyone knows Tess, they understand how perfect this is. She is soo not an angel. The best part was that shortly after I bought the ornament she got ahold of it and chewed it like crazy. It is missing most of its wings... Anyway, it wasn't with my other ornaments, so I don't have a picture of it right now. When I find it, I will update.

2007: I was still in Bloomington, still working at the psych hospital. (note: I almost wrote"still at the psych hospital"... but remember I WORKED THERE!) I don't remember any specific story about buying these, but I love them. I think they are so pretty!
These are made of glass, but are actually pretty sturdy. I am happy they have lasted...

2008: I had recently moved to Philadelphia and had just finished my first semester of my master's program. At the time I thought it would take FOREVER! but looking back, it went soo fast! I still remember wandering around Wal-Mart knowing I needed to find an ornament. I found this one last minute... and it was cheap. Truthfully, I am not a huge fan of this one...
It's plastic and cheap. The one ornament I wouldn't mind breaking- just. won't. break. Oh well...

2009: I was still in Philadelphia, now almost done with my master's. I was busy, but I was loving it! This ornament was actually bought several days after Christmas, on sale, at CVS. I think it was around 75 cents. Tess immediately ripped the Santa hat off (she must love the taste of ornaments), but I was able to glue it back on. I like it. It's cute and it was extremely inexpensive.

Which brings us to 2010: I started looking at Wal-Mart, but just didn't see any that caught my eye. Then I found out G & G B bought ornaments for everyone. Thanks! You saved the day! I haven't got mine yet, so there is no picture, but I hear it is cute!

2 comments:

Becky said...

I LOVE your ornaments - and the stories that go with them! When I get home today I'll send you a picture of your new ornament so you can include it!

Joan said...

I didn't realize you had this tradition.... It's a GREAT ONE.
Hope you like yours this year.
With Mellisa's help they turn out really nice. Loves