Saturday, January 14, 2012

A bit of funny with a dash of heartbreak

Some stories from work yesterday:

I woke the kids up and was thrilled that one of our 9 year olds woke up dry for the fifth (yes FIFTH!!) morning in a row! I encourage him to run to the restroom... yet he was more interested in checking out the window frame. He finally headed for the bathroom and I went in to help a 6 year old get ready for the day.
About 20 seconds later I heard from behind me,"I have good news and bad news."
I requested, "tell me the good news first."
The 9 year old responded, "Well, actually, there is no good news. I didn't make it."
At least he didn't wet the bed.

Now the heartbreak:
Later in the day we were making Valentine's cards. (Yes, I know it is early, but I was exhausted and didn't have the energy to run another group.)
Each kid got 1 store bought valentine's card, yet the same 9 year old stated he needed more for his whole family. I gave him some heart coloring pages and wrote "to" and "from" on each page. On one he wrote "To: Mom" and another "To: Dad." He then handed me a blank one and asked me to write "To: Brother" on it. I asked him what his brother's name was, and he responded, "Just write 'brother.'" So I did, and repeated the action for the "sister" card, slightly confused, but with a thought forming in my head.

I then checked his chart. I couldn't find much family history there, except that he has been in foster care for quite a while.

Some of my co-workers believed he just couldn't remember his brother's name, but I have a sneaking suspicion he wasn't making the cards for specific individuals. Rather, I think knew he was "supposed" to have a mom, dad, brother, sister and thus fixed cards as such. Regardless of his heartbreaking history.

Situations like this help me have a little more patience with the kids who literally cannot sit still. Ever.

2 comments:

Ash Kelley said...

You're amazing Traci. Just thought you should know.

Becky said...

A few tears here. And so grateful for people like you!