Saturday, May 25, 2013

10 years

I graduated from high school ten years ago today. On that day I had no idea I would experience the following things:

*Lived with 21 different roommates
*Attended numerous sessions of conference in Salt Lake City
*Graduated from BYU a year early
*Majored in Psychology
      -this was after a semester of considering everything from linguistics to "I have no idea"
*Moved to Indiana
      -and lived by myself for the first time
*Worked at a psychiatric hospital
     -to this day I still say I never would have done it is I knew what was involved, but I still love it
*Realized how worthless a B.S. in psychology is
*Got my own dog for the first time
*Decided to go to graduate school
*Moved to Philadelphia
     -10 years ago I knew zip about Philadelphia, now it is one of my favorite cities
*Moved to a city in which I knew zero people beforehand
*Experienced the unexpected deaths of two people I was quite close to
*Completed a thesis
*Studied/worked in autism research
*Completed a master's in psychology
*Realized how worthless a M.S. in psychology is
*Worked in a children's hospital
*Lived in Columbus, Ohio
     -Ohio? really?
*More than tripled the number of states I had visited
*Moved back to Texas
     -Ten years ago today I may have sworn to never come back to Texas...
*Lost a grandparent
*Started a graduate program in social work
     -Due to finally discovering a degree which is not worthless
*Gained three beautiful new sisters
*Became an aunt to 2 nieces and 5 nephews
     -These kids are some of my favorite people in the entire world
*Worked with hundreds of kids/teenagers in psychiatric treatment
     -Which included being spit on, bit, hit, kicked, and called some of the worst words I have ever heard, but also received hugs, seen improvement from the worst of the worst, and had the opportunity to spend birthdays, Christmases, Thanksgivings, and other holidays with kids who have no one in the world
*Killed dozens of plants, but kept my pup alive for 7 years

I have experienced many, many more things, but it is late and I am old now, so I can't stay up as late as I did 10 years ago.
I'm not even going to try and guess what I will experience in the next 10 years.

4 comments:

carlee said...

You've accomplished a lot in 10 years Traci! I think we should add to the list..scuba diving in Hawaii...yeah lets do that!

Traci said...

I would love to simply add Hawaii to that list! But scuba diving sounds good too!

Anonymous said...

Eleda, you have done more in ten years than most people do in a life time. You will never add that gate in our back fence or the bus direct to the U, Love ya Charlie.

mid said...

https://www.tribunnews.com/nasional/2015/12/30/ini-dia-pertimbangan-saat-ajukan-pinjaman-uang-untuk-pendidikan