Saturday, August 30, 2008

Going down?

So, yesterday when I came home from the doctor I walked into the lobby to see quite a scene.
Sidenote: They redid the entire lobby since I moved in. I thought it was just going to get new paint because that is how it sat for awhile, then suddenly they had couches/benches, mirrors, wall decorations, and tables all over the place. It looks really nice.
Back to the story. The doorman and one of the maintenance guys were standing in front of one of the elevators. Then the maintenance guy says, "I need something to stand on." So I thought they were just doing some work on the elevator. Then he says, "Don't panic, we are going to get you out of there." I thought, "Oh, snap. The elevator's stuck!" Then the guy asks, "How many of you are there?" And they answer 5. Now, this would be fine in a normal elevator, but these elevators are tiny. You could just barely squeeze 5 people into one of these elevators. So, of course, I immediately think of the scene from "You've Got Mail" where they are stuck in the elevator. There were 4 of them (plus a dog) and they were able to all sit on the floor. I was so glad I wasn't in that elevator, while being jealous at the same time. (Think how much better this story would be if I had been in the elevator?" When there are that many people in the elevator (actually, anyone I don't know-even only one other person) I hold my breath. I suffer from clastrophobia, but only when in large crowds. So, I would have passed out from lack of oxygen and then we would have had another problem.
So, as I am standing there pondering all this (and getting strange looks from people standing around me wondering why I was staring off into space) when this woman starts saying something about will the elevators work because, "Well, I live on the tenth floor." I kinda laughed at that. Nobody would want to inconvenience you and ask you to walk up the stairs clear to the tenth floor. Now, I wouldn't want to walk up 10 flights either and I'm 30+ years her junior, but she says this to the maintenance man who is busy saying to the elevator full of people, "Don't panic. We are getting you out. Don't panic. Stay calm." I just thought it was a little funny.
Well, then I hopped onto a different elevator and made it up to my floor just fine. However, later in the day I was waiting for an elevator to go downstairs and that one opened. I tell you, I was hesitant to get on. BUT I DID!
Almost always I have a book with me. Almost always. You never know when you might have to wait and need something to read. However, I have found myself once on the elevator in the last couple of days without a book-and that's when my panic started. Luckily, I didn't get stuck in the elevator.
Anyway, when I got on the faulty elevator I held my breath the whole way even though I was alone.
Silly moving box.

Did you know my grandpa fell down an elevator shaft? Seriously he did. And lost part of his nose. The rest of him survived.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

If you had been on the elevator you might not have heard the ladies comment about the tenth floor. So it's probably best you weren't on it. It's funner to notice the irony in life. Like today I saw a parked cab that said on the back windows "No Smoking Allowed" and there sat the driver smoking.

Ash Kelley said...

seriously, not even lying (and just for the record i don't. lie that is.) i was thinking of that part on you've got mail with the doorman and the lady with the dog and Tom Hanks and his girlfriend and then you wrote it. and you should post a blog about the missing part of your grandpa's nose.