Wednesday, March 3, 2010

the QUIET ride car

So, I ride the train everyday into the city. Several months ago they decided to start a new program. They call it the quiet ride car. During peak hours (aka rush hours in the morning and evening) the first car of the train is a quiet ride car. The rules are that you can't talk on your cell phone, all electronic devices have to be on vibrate, iPods have to be turned down so no one else can hear them, conversations with other passengers have to be short and conducted in hushed tones-- I think this is almost verbatim.
Anywho. This is only one car out of 3+. I like the quiet. I really don't like it when other people are talking loudly or playing their music really loud. It annoys me. (I know... shocker.)
So, I started riding in the quiet ride car. I chose this because I wanted quiet. However, something strange has been happening.
People in the quiet ride car are not being quiet.
It drives me insane. Why do you sit in this car if you want to talk to someone you are riding with? Why do you ride in this car if you want to talk on your phone? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME!
So. I made a decision. I don't ride in the quiet ride car that much anymore. I still prefer the quiet, but if people don't have to be quiet (as in they are supposed to be quiet) I don't get as frustrated when they hold annoying and private conversations loudly on the phone. I know... I'm a strange individual. Is this news to anyone???
Today, however, I was riding home in the quiet ride and it was actually quiet. I was happy. Although, I smiled to myself when the train man walked down the aisle and reminded us that this was the quiet ride car. I kinda felt like I was back in elementary school and it was quiet reading time after lunch...

Anyway. If you are supposed to be quiet--- BE QUIET!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Nothing OC about that... But I love you!

Traci said...

In learning about personality disorders yesterday I think I could be diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder. Oh well. At least now it has a name.