Saturday, March 10, 2012

The (barely) walking dead

Hi all! It has been a bit intense lately.
About a week and a half ago a couple of kids at work started showing sick symptoms. Diarrhea and vomiting. By Friday (2 fridays ago) we had decided we needed to quaratine the sick kids so they would stop spreading their killer germs to the healthy children.
We have two nearly identical halves to our unit floorplan, so we gave one side to the sick kids and one to the healthy. My coworker and I even moved around everyone's belongings and beds so that we had sick bedrooms and healthy bedrooms. It was a lot of work, and exhausting, but I felt it was worth it because I was hoping we could just get those few ill kids healthy and then we would be good.
Unfortunately I forgot to take into accout the weekend staff who believes watching movies all day is therapeutic and appropriate for kids in a treatment program. Whatever... Unfortunately they also believed that all the kids should be in the same room, so they, as the staff, would be able to sit in one spot all day to watch all the kids. This meant that by Monday we had even more sick kiddos.
However, we went back in ready to fight the war on germs and separated the kids again. However, the plague continued to spread. But we continued to fight.
By this point I thought I was immune. I have worked with kids in settings like this off and on for 5 1/2 years and have never caught anything more serious than a cold.
Then Wednesday struck...
Around 9:30 staffing called and asked me to work a double. Sure, no big deal.
At 10:00 I suddenly felt deathly ill. Dizzy, sick to my stomach. Etc, etc. I took my temperature, which was normal, but that didn't mean anything.
A few hours layer I was feeling better and thought I might actually make it through my 16 hour shift.
That evening another kid came down with the plague and did a marvelous reenactment of the pea soup scene from the Exorcist. However, this kid went above and beyond by spinning and running up and down the hallway whilst showing us his dinner. (Note: I thought of sharing the exorcist clip with you, but it is pretty gross.)
I got home about 11:00 that night and after showering, finally got in bed around midnight. I woke up at 3:00 unbelieveable sick to my stomach. I then spent 2 hours in the bathroom, and I won't go into detail... it was gross.
A little after 5 I went back to bed hoping an hour of sleep would give me enough energy to get ready for work. When I got up at 6 I started to get ready and vomited again. It was gross people, but it was too late to call in, so I wiped my mouth and headed to work. After an hour, some harsh words to the sick kids about staying in one spot to limit the spread of germs, a phone call to my boss, and my own reenactment of this clip, I headed home.

I got into bed at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday and except for getting up to drink gatorades and use the restroom, I slept until 6:00 a.m. Friday morning. I then got myself ready for work and headed in. Amazingly, I made it through the day.
When I left yesterday we still had 4 sick kids, but 3 of them were on the mend. We'll see how the weekend goes.

I however, hang my head in shame.
My first job was almost 11 years ago. This was the first time I have called in sick to a job. For shame. I usually have a very strong stomach, but those little devils darlings got me. Oh well.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I don't think being at work and having to go home sick counts as 'calling in' so your record remains intact! Sure hope you're feeling ALL better before long!!

joan bryan said...

You are one determined women!! So sorry you had to suffer...Hope all is well now... love ya TE :)
By the way I miss you......