Becks reminded me that I really need to keep track of my work stories and I figure this is the best and easiest place to keep them organized.
Just a warning- some stories are funny, some are sweet, some may seem cold-hearted, and some are heartbreaking.
Currently we have a little 5-year-old at work who is in foster care, so she has been there for a couple of weeks. She was admitted to the hospital with aggression and sexually acting out problems. When I questioned her on this she didn't deny it, but stated the others kids at the foster home did it to her and she also did it in turn.
I have had zero problems with this little girl- which is really saying something. She is very sweet and follows all directions.
We told her doctor she needed to be put on "cutie-patutie" precautions because she is just so darn cute.
Each morning I have to help her with her hair. Yesterday she said she just wanted it left down, but warned me "not to brush out the curls." She also directed me to use water on the brush so her hair wasn't so busy and people wouldn't think she "looked crazy." Today we put it in pigtails or "puppy-dog ears" as she calls them.
Last week the staff was informed she would not be going back to the same foster home. When her former foster mother told her she couldn't visit anymore Cutie-Patutie was crushed. Today her case-worker visited and finally told her that she would be going to a new home Cutie-Patutie tried hard to stay stong and stoic. However, she didn't last long and silent tears overflowed her eyes and fell down her face. It was heartbreaking.
Last week during my morning group where I review the unit rules I started talking about the protocol for bed wetting. We get a lot of them and a lot of them refuse to shower when they wake up. I told everyone they needed to put on fresh, clean clothes and strip the sheets off their beds. I then moved on to another topic and about 15 minutes later I took the girls to their bedrooms to use the bathroom. She sidled up next to me and whispered she needed some new panties because she wet the bed last night. It broke my heart a little how she sat there for about 20 minutes beating herself up for not doing what she was supposed to, before she was able to confess.
Earlier this week I had to again tell the whole group that we were not going to hand out personal journals anymore because the kids were using the paper to make airplanes, etc. with. Again, I then switched topics and when I took the girls to their rooms C-P came out to me with her hands behind her back. With her head down she asked, "Are you going to be mad at me?" I asked her what happened and she slowly pulls out one of the journals. I asked her where she got it from and she replied one of the other staff had given it to her the day before. I quickly reassured her she was not in trouble at all. I just can't believe how she sits there without saying anything and waits until they are allowed to ask questions. Most kids just start shouting things out.
Oh- another thing that endears Cutie-Patutie to me: We have the same birthday!
We also have a 9-year-old boy who has pretty severe autism. He is quite sweet. This morning he kept asking me my name. When I asked him in return what his name was he replied, "Miss Traci!" He also came up to me, waved his hand in my face and said, "Swiper NO SWIPING!" A couple of months ago I wouldn't have known where this came from, but thanks to Olivier I know this is from Dora the Explorer. I also know the appropriate response- "Aww man!"
We realized yesterday that he talks to himself- a lot. And he asks himself questions. And he gets upset if anyone answers. For example, he was sitting at a table with one staff member and another boy. The 9yo kept saying, "A is for..." The 6yo sitting with him would say "APPLE!" which then upset the 9yo. So, we have the 9yo sit by himself and he is much happier for it.
Today I went to get lunch for all the kiddos and I was informed he only eats chicken and salad. So I got him a special tray. When it was time for lunch I told him I got his tray special. He opened it, saw the food, and said, "This looks good! THANK YOU!" It was pretty sweet.
Finally, I have a little 7yo who I am pretty sure has Asperger's. A few days ago I told him to go brush his teeth. He replied, "I don't know how!" So I put toothpaste on his toothbrush and told him to scrub away. Later that day he walked out of the bathroom without flushing. When I reminded him to flush he said, "I don't know how!" So I showed him. Today he came out without flushing. When I directed him to go back in he said, "It isn't working." Sometimes the younger kids have trouble flushing because the levers are sometimes tough to push. So I went in to help him. He points at the enormous turd in the toilet, looks at me, and says, "That came from me, but it won't go down!" So I tried flushing. He was right- it wouldn't go down. After 4 more tries I told him we would just have to leave it for now (I didn't have a plunger or anything). Later in the day when he came back from the bathroom he proudly informed me, "It's gone!"
Thank goodness.
Just a warning- some stories are funny, some are sweet, some may seem cold-hearted, and some are heartbreaking.
Currently we have a little 5-year-old at work who is in foster care, so she has been there for a couple of weeks. She was admitted to the hospital with aggression and sexually acting out problems. When I questioned her on this she didn't deny it, but stated the others kids at the foster home did it to her and she also did it in turn.
I have had zero problems with this little girl- which is really saying something. She is very sweet and follows all directions.
We told her doctor she needed to be put on "cutie-patutie" precautions because she is just so darn cute.
Each morning I have to help her with her hair. Yesterday she said she just wanted it left down, but warned me "not to brush out the curls." She also directed me to use water on the brush so her hair wasn't so busy and people wouldn't think she "looked crazy." Today we put it in pigtails or "puppy-dog ears" as she calls them.
Last week the staff was informed she would not be going back to the same foster home. When her former foster mother told her she couldn't visit anymore Cutie-Patutie was crushed. Today her case-worker visited and finally told her that she would be going to a new home Cutie-Patutie tried hard to stay stong and stoic. However, she didn't last long and silent tears overflowed her eyes and fell down her face. It was heartbreaking.
Last week during my morning group where I review the unit rules I started talking about the protocol for bed wetting. We get a lot of them and a lot of them refuse to shower when they wake up. I told everyone they needed to put on fresh, clean clothes and strip the sheets off their beds. I then moved on to another topic and about 15 minutes later I took the girls to their bedrooms to use the bathroom. She sidled up next to me and whispered she needed some new panties because she wet the bed last night. It broke my heart a little how she sat there for about 20 minutes beating herself up for not doing what she was supposed to, before she was able to confess.
Earlier this week I had to again tell the whole group that we were not going to hand out personal journals anymore because the kids were using the paper to make airplanes, etc. with. Again, I then switched topics and when I took the girls to their rooms C-P came out to me with her hands behind her back. With her head down she asked, "Are you going to be mad at me?" I asked her what happened and she slowly pulls out one of the journals. I asked her where she got it from and she replied one of the other staff had given it to her the day before. I quickly reassured her she was not in trouble at all. I just can't believe how she sits there without saying anything and waits until they are allowed to ask questions. Most kids just start shouting things out.
Oh- another thing that endears Cutie-Patutie to me: We have the same birthday!
We also have a 9-year-old boy who has pretty severe autism. He is quite sweet. This morning he kept asking me my name. When I asked him in return what his name was he replied, "Miss Traci!" He also came up to me, waved his hand in my face and said, "Swiper NO SWIPING!" A couple of months ago I wouldn't have known where this came from, but thanks to Olivier I know this is from Dora the Explorer. I also know the appropriate response- "Aww man!"
We realized yesterday that he talks to himself- a lot. And he asks himself questions. And he gets upset if anyone answers. For example, he was sitting at a table with one staff member and another boy. The 9yo kept saying, "A is for..." The 6yo sitting with him would say "APPLE!" which then upset the 9yo. So, we have the 9yo sit by himself and he is much happier for it.
Today I went to get lunch for all the kiddos and I was informed he only eats chicken and salad. So I got him a special tray. When it was time for lunch I told him I got his tray special. He opened it, saw the food, and said, "This looks good! THANK YOU!" It was pretty sweet.
Finally, I have a little 7yo who I am pretty sure has Asperger's. A few days ago I told him to go brush his teeth. He replied, "I don't know how!" So I put toothpaste on his toothbrush and told him to scrub away. Later that day he walked out of the bathroom without flushing. When I reminded him to flush he said, "I don't know how!" So I showed him. Today he came out without flushing. When I directed him to go back in he said, "It isn't working." Sometimes the younger kids have trouble flushing because the levers are sometimes tough to push. So I went in to help him. He points at the enormous turd in the toilet, looks at me, and says, "That came from me, but it won't go down!" So I tried flushing. He was right- it wouldn't go down. After 4 more tries I told him we would just have to leave it for now (I didn't have a plunger or anything). Later in the day when he came back from the bathroom he proudly informed me, "It's gone!"
Thank goodness.
4 comments:
Traci you're amazing.
Also completely off subject.
I stumbled on Tim's blog and his wife Carlee and I really can't get over how ridiculously familiar she looks. And after staring at her face for a good 10 minutes I was wondering how I know it. So tell me is it because she looks like some chick from a movie. Is she from our old High school? Is her maiden name Porter? She looks a lot like this chick in our ward when we lived in St. George and there was another girl in her family with blonde hair named Linda or Lisa or Lindsey or something? Am I waay off ? When you get a minute will you crack the case? Also what happened to you visiting me and my crazy offspring when you come to Houston?? I was for real about that.
Ashley! Oh my gosh- yes Carlee's maiden name is Porter and she is from St. George. She has a sister named Lindsey who I think is around 23.
I just called Carlee and Tim and she totally remembers you! Small world!
They have been married for a year and a half and live in St. George. They are about to move back to Provo for Tim to go to law school at BYU.
And yes, I will totally visit you and your offspring soon!! My trips lately have been for like 1 day, but I am planning to take a few days off from work this summer and do some more stuff out there. I will definitely let you know when I will be out there again! I don't think I have seen you since Wyatt was a baby...
I knew I knew her!!! Awesome, thanks for figuring it out for me and CRAZY, super small world! And yes please do visit! Its usually just the kids and I and we could use some good company! And I don't think you have met my other two! They're a trip, you'd like em'.
Post a Comment