Monday, June 11, 2012

Injuries

I live an interesting life. At least when it comes to my work.

A few months ago I was working a 16 hour shift, and towards the end of the shift I was sitting talking to one kid who was currently throwing a fit in the "quiet room." (Yes, this is your typical psych hospital seclusion room- however in the case she wasn't closed in.)
It was about 10:30 at night and 2 girls were refusing to go to bed and were being loud and disruptive, so I had one in the quiet room and the other ran down the hallway (where everyone else was sleeping) yelling, "Everybody, wake up!" So, two other staff members went after her. Suddenly I hear the pitter patter of little feet coming towards me. The 5-year-old that had been down the hall yelling was coming back out into the more public area. I thought she would just run past me, but suddenly my head was hit by her 72lbs (yes 72 lbs!) body. With her left hand she hit me on the side of the head with a closed fist and reached around my head with her right hand hitting my right eye with the heel of her hand, then raking her fingernails down my forehead. When I finally got a chance to look in the mirror- over an hour later I saw the damage.

This happened on April 20. You can still see the scars on my forehead, especially when I am not wearing makeup.

I was particularly worried about the possibility of a black eye or a concussion based on how hard she hit, but luckily I got away with a little whiplash and a couple of scars...


A while ago I had another little darling get mad at me over something and pinch the back of my hand. He pinched so hard it bruised and somehow turned into a small scar I still have...

Today a 10 year old was informed she would not be going home today, but rather was going into residential treatment for a couple of months. Her response was to start throwing chairs and tables. I was lucky enough to be the one to do the physical intervention. It got to such a point that we ended up calling a code and another individual showed up to help me hold her on the floor. At this point she started spitting. I was closest to her face and therefore her target. I simply closed my mouth and eyes every time she spit. I got quite a shower from her saliva... However we finally decided to turn her onto her stomach so she couldn't spit on us as easily anymore and to get her ready for the shot ("booty juice!"). As I was flipping her she thought the flesh on my arm looked appetizing and tried to take a chunk out of it. With her teeth.

This is an awkward picture because it is in an awkward spot and I had to take the picture left handed. I can't tell for sure, but I don't think the skin was broken however I have a large bruise and another smaller one next to it, the area is red (in the middle of the bruising) and it is swollen.
I am watching carefully for any signs of infection...

Oh, and my knees got 7 new bruises today from being kicked by multiple darlings and taking a few of them down to the ground.



Ah the memories!

3 comments:

joan bryan said...

They do make it worth your time and injuries for all you have to endure??
I never realized just what your JOB is!! Love YOU TE.... jo

Regan said...

Oh my GOSH, Traci! I think I was holding my breath reading that whole post.

Jessica Speed said...

Crazy, I had no idea you dealt with these kinds of kids! It doesn't sound very safe at all. What are the positive sides to your job?